Domestic abuse
Reportedly, around 3.8 million adults experienced domestic abuse in 2025 RDNE Stock project / Pexels

A surprise emergency alert sent to millions of phones across England and Wales has sparked an unexpected concern: Could a warning designed to keep people safe put some domestic abuse survivors at risk?

The alert, issued on Friday evening, 14 August, warned of a 'very high risk' of wildfires across the country. For most people, it was simply a loud and startling notification. For survivors hiding a second phone from an abusive partner, however, the noise could have had much more serious consequences.

The alert came as firefighters dealt with dozens of wildfires, including a blaze in West Midlands that destroyed 19 homes. But campaigners said the public had little advance warning that the alert was coming. That matters because some survivors use secret phones to contact loved ones, support services or professionals without their abuser knowing.

How Does UK Emergency Alert System Work?

The UK Emergency Alerts system is designed to send urgent warnings directly to compatible mobile phones when there is a serious threat to life. The alerts can make a loud sound even when a phone is on silent or has 'Do Not Disturb' switched on.

Friday's message warned people about the unusually high wildfire risk and advised them to avoid activities that could spark fires, including disposable barbecues, fireworks and naked flames. Reportedly, it was the biggest use of the emergency alert system so far.

The government said the alert was sent following a direct request from fire and rescue services. Officials said crews were tackling 43 wildfires that day, while 11 major incidents had been declared. Military support was also required as emergency services came under intense pressure.

However, the timing caught many people off guard. A Cabinet Office announcement was published shortly before the alert, leaving little opportunity for the public — or organisations supporting vulnerable people — to prepare.

Why Hidden Phones Matter for Abuse Survivors

For someone experiencing domestic abuse, a second mobile phone can be a vital safety tool. It may be kept hidden so the person can discreetly speak to friends, family members, charities or professionals and make plans to leave an abusive situation.

That is why a sudden, loud emergency alert can be more than an inconvenience.

Padua Eaton, a 29-year-old domestic abuse survivor who founded support group The Harborough Doves, told the BBC that her 'heart dropped' when the alert sounded. She feared an abusive partner could immediately realise that a hidden phone was nearby.

Women's Aid also warned about the potential consequences. Veronica Oakeshott, the charity's head of external affairs, said survivors 'frequently turn to second phones' to access lifesaving support or flee abuse. She called for the public to be warned about emergency alerts in advance whenever possible.

Maggie Evans, director of frontline services at Hourglass, urged ministers to consult organisations working with vulnerable people before future alerts. Campaigners have also raised the possibility of silent notifications as a safer option in some circumstances.

Millions Continue To Experience Domestic Abuse

The concerns come as millions of people across England and Wales continue to experience domestic abuse.

According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), 3.8 million people aged 16 and over experienced domestic abuse in the year ending March 2025. That included around 2.2 million women and 1.5 million men.

Police recorded 816,493 domestic abuse-related crimes during the same period. The ONS also recorded 834,256 domestic abuse-related offences in the year ending March 2026, including 643,061 violence-against-the-person offences.

These figures underline why discreet access to support can be so important. For someone living with an abusive partner, keeping a phone hidden may be part of a wider safety plan.